The New One Minute Manager
"The New One Minute Manager" by Ken Blanchard, PHD, and Spencer Johnson, MD is a popular management book that presents practical and effective techniques for successful leadership and productivity. The book introduces a fictional manager who learns the three secrets to becoming an effective leader through a series of encounters with a wise mentor. Here's a summary of the book along with five key takeaways:
"The New One Minute Manager" emphasizes the importance of adopting a leadership style that balances between being goal-oriented and people-oriented. The authors propose three secrets that form the foundation of effective management: One Minute Goals, One Minute Praisings, and One Minute Re-Directs.
1. One Minute Goals: The first secret focuses on setting clear and concise goals. The manager and their team members establish mutually agreed-upon goals, ensuring that they are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART). By providing clear expectations, individuals can understand what is expected of them and take responsibility for their performance.
2. One Minute Praisings: The second secret revolves around providing immediate and genuine praise for good performance. The manager catches employees doing something right and offers specific and timely recognition. This approach boosts motivation, reinforces positive behavior, and creates a positive work environment.
3. One Minute Re-Directs: The third secret addresses addressing poor performance or mistakes. Instead of reprimanding or criticizing, the manager quickly redirects the individual by addressing the behavior, not the person, and offering constructive feedback. This helps to correct mistakes and encourages employees to learn from their errors.
1. Clear Goal Setting: Setting clear goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) is essential for effective management. It provides focus and clarity for individuals and aligns their efforts with organizational objectives.
2. Immediate and Genuine Praise: Timely and sincere praise for good performance can significantly enhance motivation and productivity. Recognizing and acknowledging employees' efforts and achievements fosters a positive work culture.
3. Constructive Feedback: Addressing poor performance or mistakes requires a constructive approach. By providing redirection and offering guidance, managers can help employees learn from their errors and improve their performance.
4. Efficient Time Management: The book emphasizes the significance of managing time effectively. By spending a minute to set goals, offer praise, or provide redirection, managers can save time in the long run and maintain productivity.
5. Suitable Audience: "The New One Minute Manager" is useful for managers, supervisors, team leaders, and anyone in a position of authority who wants to enhance their leadership skills. It provides practical strategies that can be applied in various work settings and industries.
Overall, "The New One Minute Manager" offers practical advice and actionable strategies for effective leadership. It emphasizes the importance of clear communication, goal setting, timely recognition, and constructive feedback, making it a valuable resource for individuals in management roles.
I'd love to hear your take on the book. Connect with me on LinkedIn to share!